Candle to Rose by Jae Hoon Lim

Discussion in 'Stage Magic' started by AirZtonne, Apr 2, 2014.

1. AirZtonne

AirZtonne Magician Video Author

As part of my efforts to liven up the MVD, I shall review some of the products that I have gotten recently (Some items are really new, some have been released years ago)

Product: Candle to Rose by Jaehoon Lim

Effect: A candle is lit and held in the magician’s hand, suddenly, the candle seems to float on its own! Undeterred, the magician produces a silk and with a wave, the flames of the candle visually changes to a rose! (Advertised as both a floating candle and a Candle to Rose stage prop)

In the Package: The whole prop comes in a cylindrical (not hard) transparent plastic container which contains the Candle, a Stand, one Red Rose, one Yellow Rose and replacements for the gimmick and the part where the candle burns.

Intro: Jae Hoon Lim is a famous Korean magician known for his Dove manipulations. He has recently released some of his own creations including “Color Change Dove Frame” and “The Challenge”.

Review: First Impressions is that the candle is very thick! However, the size difference will not be obvious on stage unless compared with a real candle. It is pretty heavy despite the looks and the “ability” to float. However, the candle is very study and (feels like) it will last very long – I think its made of some sort of hard plastic with paint (Those greyish pipe colour) and the base is the same case but painted black.
    [​IMG]
    The two rose provided are fake (of course) and the colours are very well done, the colors show up really well even when far away and is very “poofy” to make it seem bigger than it really is, which adds to the visual-ness. That said, however, eventually it will need to be replaced – Being squished inside the candle and popping out as such a speed will take its toll over time.

Talking about the gimmick, it is something that will wear out overtime too, which is nice that they provided a 2nd gimmick, although no instruction is given on how to fix it. When activating the gimmick, it makes a sound comparable to the level of a cane – Nothing a bit of music or distance cannot cover. Also, it is worthy to note that both the floating candle and the candle to rose is fully self contained and able to be done right out of the box.

Personal thoughts and Conclusion: When I first saw Jae Hoon Lim on youtube doing is Dove Routine, I was very amazed by the effects he did and the way he presented himself (His poses, confidence etc.) I was fell in love with the color changing frame when watching but did not realise that was his own creation until he released it. However, as much as I liked him, I do not do Doves and the price range was way out of my budget, nevertheless I subscribed to his channel, so when he put out the candle to rose, I was very excited as it was at a decent price and will be able to fit into almost any stage routine!

I was really glad I took the plunge as this prop is a really great visual effect, it also allows me to show myself as a performer more as I’m able to present a more upbeat moment with the floating candle then BOOM a rose comes out. The bit of Rose Manipulation Jae Hoon Lim showed at the end of his demo is really nice too!
    RajeshLGov likes this.
  2. Bizzaro

Bizzaro Magician Video Author Founding Member

I would almost paint one half of the candle a different color or alter it somehow because it's essentially candle to vase with rose in it.
  3. AirZtonne

Half the candle as in front and back or top and bottom? (I'm thinking its the former though)
  4. Bizzaro

Yes the former. Actually I would take a vase, paint half of it white and hide the bulbous bottom part with my hand so when you do the move you swing your body 180 degrees and now it's a vase, different color and has a flower in it.
    RajeshLGov and Marty like this.
  5. AirZtonne

Oh wow, that actually a pretty good idea! I may try it out! Thanks!
    Marty likes this.
  6. Bizzaro

Lemme know how it goes.