How to gain Access

Discussion in 'How to Access the Restricted Area' started by Marty, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Marty

Marty Mage Staff Member Owner of MVD Video Author

Basic way to gain access:
    The general way to gain access is going to be that you submit a video as your "entry" request. You will send a link to your video to a staff member, which is currently @JMBMagic or myself. The video does NOT have to be added to MVD, but you do need to upload it somewhere so we can watch it.

The video should be an entire routine. Not just a single sleight, but an entire routine. It needs to be something that is somewhat complex. Not just a gimmicked deck trick or something that comes in a box and runs itself. It should include using sleights etc.... For example if you submit an ACR routine, you should do at least 4-5 revelations of the card using different techniques. Not just a simple 1 time DL and done. Has to be a full engaging routine. Patter will help your "case"... but is not required.

It does not have to be cards, it can be anything... Magic related. You get to decide.

Important points:

1. Your video must begin with you showing a piece of paper with your MVD USERNAME written on it in sharpie (or make sure we can read it). This is to ensure YOU are the person in the video and that you didn't just rip it off and pretend it is you. No breaks in footage between showing your name and starting your routine.

2. Practice, practice, practice. Your submission should be polished and fluid. No exposure, no slip ups, mistakes, etc... Put your best foot forward.

3. For now, the decision of entry is up to the Staff Members. Eventually as more people are added to the group.... the members will be able to vote. However, Staff Members have the right to override and grant access.

4. Staff members reserve the right to grant access to someone even if they do not submit a video. After a while of talking to people you can tend to get a feel for if they are serious or not.

Important Rule: You must participate in the site regularly, and have a history posting. If you are not active or become an infrequent visitor who does not participate.... your access can be revoked and you will have to repetition for access. This is because the area is for everyone to help each other, not just have lurkers looking for "Secrets".

Other ways to gain access:

1. I know not everyone is comfortable submitting a video. If you do not want to submit a video... I will schedule an interview with you (on the forum) and we can discuss it privately. You will be asked questions randomly selected and you must answer them quickly (no time to go google the answers). You may also be asked to write a short "essay" on your skills and knowledge.

2. A staff member can grant access at their leisure if they feel you have proven yourself.

3. A current member of the private area can nominate you. If their are no objections. It will happen.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments. I am open to modifying this as the members see fit.

Marty
  2. JP Hilario

JP Hilario Magician Video Author

This is great! I'll be going out with some magic buddies of mine this Saturday. Hopefully I can shoot some vids of me performing to people.
    JP
    Marty and JMBMagic like this.
  3. Aaron Ace

Aaron Ace Magician

So when you mean sleights, would performing Psypher by Robert Smith, then Aftershock, then a short ACR ending with French Kiss by Wayne Houchin be sufficient for complexity?
  4. Marty

Yes that would work as long as it is a routine and not just a string of sleights with no continuity to them.
  5. Scott Cole

Scott Cole Magician Video Author

is there a time limit to a routine? i have a couple of pretty long ones?
  6. Marty

No time limit!
  7. Scott Cole

so just record and post on here as "my restricted area audition" ? im going to record tonight and get it posted up :)
  8. Marty

You send the link as a Private Message to myself and @JMBMagic
  9. Scott Cole

ok thank you, ill give it a go tonight :)